2012-12-19

Fire

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.


Okay, where do I begin? Maybe with the previous book. I loved Graceling. It was a fantastic fantasy book. Love combined with strong characters and tension.  

But the second book was a disappointment. The main character was annoying, and that's never good. 
Fire is way too much like Katsa, but less interesting, more whiny, and more, well, slutty. The book is basically built on "friends with benefits". Fire sleeps with a guy she doesn't even like, plus she knows that he is a  whore-monger. And then we have her dad, who says that he would never give after to the lust he feels for to his daughter because he loves her to much. What? Who says such thing?

And then we have the eternal subject through the whole book : Fire's period! I swear it's brought up in every single chapter! Who wants to read about that? Well, not me. Every time she has her period everything is so freaking circumstantial! Monsters is running after her and she complains over everything the period is bringing. 

This persistent talk about sex and periods has absolutely NOTHING to do with the story. 

Did you think there could be any worse? Let me answer, it can. 
Because, as I said, the first book was really good. And the only reason I read the second book was because I wanted to know how it went with the characters in the first book. Because the end in that book brought many tears into my eyes. But does she write anything about them? No of course not! She writes a book about some whiny little slut! (excuse me for my language). She did't even mentioned the other characters a single time. 

I don't know what it is with every second book in series. They are almost always crappy.

Sorry for my rage-post this time.. But I felt the urge to get this emotions written out. I read Fire this summer but I still remember how bad it was and I have held this emotions inside of me for months! Thanks for reading, promise I will write a review about a good book next time!


// linnea 

No comments:

Post a Comment